About This Work
ClockClock 24 by Humans since 1982 is both a kinetic sculpture art edition and functioning timepiece. It combines conceptual art with technical synchronized precision and expert craftsmanship. Each work is produced and carefully assembled in Humans since 1982's workshop in Stockholm, Sweden.
The ClockClock project started in 2008 by Per Emanuelsson and Bastian Bischoff. Inspired by the question "How to shape time", the university duo experimented with analog clock hands that would depict a changing, moving typography. They showed a mock-up to electrical engineer, Australian David Cox. Cox (also now part of Humans since 1982) helped the duo develop a prototype. A curator at the auction house Phillips de Pury took the work to Saatchi Gallery London and sold one to a Russian oligarch. Selling on the art market in a small edition number, ClockClock 24 was eventually created to reach a broader audience. This work is part of an ongoing series within a broader body of artistic work. Along with ClockClock 24, there are several other editions and commissions including the recent ClockClock L and the ongoing A million Times works. Please contact us for more information.
Twenty-four clocks come together to tell a collective story in one singular digital display. Each individual clock hand is choreographed in line with the others; the twenty-four clocks tell the time as a collective, rather than individually. The clocks transition from unpredictable spinning to synchronized alignment—visually representing both the concept of time and the literal display of time.ClockClock 24 can be programmed in 12-or 24-hour time format and can display three different modes of movement between each minute: minimal, medium or elaborate. Elaborate contains ten different choreographies shown over ten minutes on a loop.
ClockClock 24 is available in 6 editions: White, Grey, Black (950 works each); and Golden Hands (White or Black) and Noir (250 works each). The hands in the Golden Hands editions are 22k gold-plated. The clock body is made of Corian (acrylic polymer & mineral composite similar to granite). Please contact us for Corian samples (especially if you are debating between white and grey). Clock Clock 24 is 40lbs and for wall display only; it includes necessary wall mounting hardware & accessories. The cord can be concealed by recessing the outlet, or running the cord inside the wall to a baseboard or opposite wall outlet.
MORE EDITIONS AVAILABLE
The ClockClock L is the next largest edition in this series; other large scale works are available from the studio in the A million Times series. Please contact Kirk for more information.
Humans since 1982 is a interdisciplinary team based in Stockholm, Sweden that defies traditional art & design categorizations. They were established in 2009 by Bastian Bischoff (b. 1982, Germany) and Per Emanuelsson (b. 1982, Sweden). Humans since 1982 exhibits worldwide at leading galleries, fairs and institutions. Their experiential installations and series works explore themes concurrent to their renowned kinetic sculpture artwork.
Note: If you see this work listed as Burkofiy Clock, Flourisca Clock, Flouriscauk Clock, MoriceDeco Clock, Rgiles Kittot (or anything else) it is a scam. There is only one maker of this series and ClockClock 24 never is sold at a discount. Our advice is to purchase now and enjoy.
- ClockClock 24
- Produced & assembled in Stockholm, Sweden
- Includes: ClockClock 24 body, hanging plate, white USB cable (115 in. / 3m, 0.125 in. thick), USB plug (US-- 1.75/2.5 with prongs x 1.6w x 0.9h in.), microfiber cleaning cloth, cotton gloves, hanging template, mounting hardware, user manual
- Corian body (Corian is an acrylic polymer & mineral composite similar to granite. Please contact us for samples.)
- Dimensions: 15.7h x 35.4w x 1.3d in (400 x 900 x 3.3 cm)
- Wall bracket depth: 0.9" (23mm)
- Weight: 40 lbs (18 kg)
- Backup battery for short term power loss
- Ambient temperature: 50° - 95° F (10° - 35° C) *Do not place in bathrooms, outdoors, areas with high humidity or strong vibrations.
- EDITION SIZE
- 950 White Edition
- 950 Grey Edition
- 950 Black Edition
- 250 Noir Edition
- 250 White Golden Hands (22k gold-plated clock hands)
- 250 Black Golden Hands (22k gold-plated clock hands)
- POWER SUPPLY
- Plug socket (hidden wire options are possible)
- USB adapter input: 100V-240V 50-60 Hz 0.25 A
- USB adapter output: 5V, 2 Amp DC
- Micro USB cable: 24 AWG / 2C or lower AWG value
- Time displays every minute with 24 sets of hands forming numbers.
- 3 modes of movement between each minute display: minimal, medium or elaborate
Mode 1 (Elaborate): This mode contains ten different choreographies for display. For each minute, the clock hands come together to perform one of the ten choreographies before displaying the exact time. This mode is visually the liveliest of all modes.
Mode 2 (Medium): This mode contains five different choreographies for display. For each minute, the clock hands come together to perform one of the five choreographies before displaying the exact time. This mode is visually elaborated without being too lively.
Mode 3 (Minimal): This mode does not display any choreographies. Only the necessary clock hands will turn once a minute to display the exact time. This mode is visually simple and quiet.
- 2 modes of time format (12 or 24hr)
- Buttons on back to manually adjust time, time format, 3 movement modes, and on/off
Quick Help & Manual
- Download manufacturer manual
Please consult the manufacturer manual for installation instructions.
- For wall-mounted, indoor use only. Do not use in high humidity spaces or in direct sunlight.
- Two persons are required to hang the artwork.
- Installer should be knowledgable of hanging heavy works (40lbs).
- Concealed wiring is possible with a recessed outlet. Always use the provided adapter and USB cable to ensure warranty coverage.
Starting the artwork
- Make sure artwork is unplugged or turned off. Using the provided gloves, move all clock hands manually to position 'six' (pointing directy down).
- Plug the adapter into the wall socket.
- To start the artwork, gently press any of the three buttons on the back of the artwork. You will hear a beeping sound and the clock hands will start to move and the time will be set to 12:00.
All clock hands should be in the 6:30 position (pointing down)
Facing the front, the buttons are located on the lower left.
Setting the mode
ClockClock 24 features 3 different choreographic modes in either 12 or 24 hour format (6 total modes).
Pressing the Mode button cycles through each of the 6 modes.
- Mode 12:1 — 12 hour time format, 10 choreographies
- Mode 12:2 — 12 hour time format, 5 choreographies
- Mode 12:3 — 12 hour time format, only shows the time
- Mode 24:1 — 24 hour time format, 10 choreographies
- Mode 24:2 — 24 hour time format, 5 choreographies
- Mode 24:3 — 24 hour time format, only shows the time
Setting the time
Setting the time is simple with the 2 buttons located on the back of the ClockClock 24. Time is displayed on a 12 or 24-hour cycle (adjusted using the Mode button).
- Choose whether you wish to display time in either 12 or 24 hour format using the mode button (see 'Setting Mode')
- Once you push the hour or minute button, the artwork will show the time.
- As long as the time is displayed on the artwork, you can adjust it.
- The clock hands will immediately start to move when pushing the hour or minute buttons.
- Push the hour button once to increase the time by an hour.
- Push the minute button once to increase the time by a minute.
Switching the artwork off
- Press and hold any of the three buttons until you hear 3 beeps; all clock hands will move to and remain in 'six' position.
- The artwork is now in sleep mode and is using a very small amount of power to remember the time.
- You also may enter this mode to re-align the hands. See 'Re-aligning the clock hands'.
Re-aligning the hands
If the hands become out of synch, you will need to re-align the hands.
- Always wear the cotton gloves when touching the artwork body and/or hands.
- Switch the artwork off (press and hold any button until you hear 3 beeps).
- Hands will move into position 'six'. Gently re-align any hands that are not facing down.
- Press any button to resume displaying the time.
All hands should be pointing down in the 'six' position.
- ClockClock 24 should be cleaned at least once every six months to avoid dust related build-up and issues in the electronics which may affect the warranty.
- Before cleaning the ClockClock 24 you should stop the artwork. To stop the artwork press any of the three buttons for a minimum of 15 seconds, all the hands will point down to 6:30. The ClockClock 24 artwork will remain stopped until you press any of the three buttons once to restart. The clock hands will turn back into their initial position in the last selected mode.
- Once the artwork is turned off, you can clean the surface of the artwork with a cloth lightly damped in warm soapy water, ammonia-based household cleaner, or a dedicated counter-top cleaner. Avoid using window cleaners as they can leave a waxy build-up that dulls the surface. Never spray liquids directly onto the artwork. Do not scrub or apply liquid to gold-plated hands.
- Wipe the surface of the artwork completely dry immediately after cleaning to prevent film build-up.
- Use a feather duster or a can of compressed air to remove the dust from the surface more frequently. If some hands were misaligned during the cleaning, you can re-align described in 'Re-aligning the clock hands'.
Moving the clock
Once the clock is switched off, remove the clock from the hanging plate, unplug the cable and place the clock on a soft surface.
ClockClock 24 has a built-in battery that keeps track of time in case of a power cutage, so you don't need to reset the time. Once the power is back on, it will resume with the current time.
Where not to display
- Do not install in rooms with high humidity or outdoors.
- Do not place the artwork where it could incur unintentional knocks or pulling of the cable.
- Avoid direct heat radiation, for example heat from radiators
- Avoid direct sunlight
- Though quiet, not for use in areas where absolute silence is required.
Clock Forward does not accept returns for ClockClock 24. We feel all our customers deserve a new unused work, and each time the work is shipped increases the risk of damaging the artwork. Please contact us with all pre-sale questions. As with any art purchase, we want you to purchase a work that brings you daily joy. We do not mind if your purchase process takes months and if you have numerous questions.
ClockClock 24 is covered by a 2 year warranty starting at the delivery date of your purchase. Please consult the manual for full warranty terms. Clock Forward and Humans since 1982 are committed to providing out of warranty support at reasonable costs as long as we exist. The studio has a history of maintaining large scale works around the world.
If damage results from not following the ClockClock 24 manual, the warranty will become invalid. The warranty will expire if your ClockClock 24 is tampered with (e.g. altered, opened or modified) or if the seal on the back of the artwork is broken.
Humans since 1982 and Clock Forward are not liable for any damage to property or personal injury caused by not following the instructions for use, improper handling or incorrect placement or mounting of the artwork.
Please contact us with any pre-sale questions or maintenance concerns.
Any maintenance or repair work should be carried out by Humans since 1982 or an expert authorized by Humans since 1982.
Do not attempt to repair or open the artwork yourself; if it is still under warranty, the warranty will become invalid.
If your ClockClock 24 is damaged or not functioning properly, please contact us and we will connect you to Humans since 1982 if additional support is necessary. We are happy to assist, even if you didn't purchase from us.
Can ClockClock24 be installed with a hidden wire?
Yes, though the white USB cable is very slender (115" long, 0.125" thick), a recessed outlet is the most common solution for concealing the cable. Clients also have run the USB cable through the wall to an outlet either well below the work or on the opposite side of the wall (such as in a closet). We do not recommend using a USB outlet for several reasons: it voids the warranty, it must match the adapter output and provide a continuous flow of electricity, and if anything goes wrong it is much easier replacing an adapter than outlet.
Can you send samples?
Yes, please contact us.
Are you an authorized seller?
Yes. We work closely with and order directly from all of our makers. We are well aware there are scam sites and campaigns fraudulently advertising Humans since 1982's work for a fraction of the cost on social media and ecommerce websites. There is only one maker of this work, and it is never discounted or placed 'on sale'.
Will you ship to locations outside of North America?
No. If you are overseas, please contact us and we will connect you directly with our colleague at Humans since 1982.
Does ClockClock 24 make noise?
ClockClock 24's motors are very quiet and may only be noticeable from close proximity in near silent settings. We do not recommend you install it in any room where absolute silence is important. The best analogy we have is that when it's in motion, it's similar to a quiet white noise.
Is ClockClock 24 reliable?
If it was unreliable, we would not sell it. We field support calls for all our makers from our clients and customers who did not purchase from us. In the last couple of years, the only issue we've had with ClockClock 24 has been the need to replace an adapter. Humans since 1982 has single works valued over 100k installed worldwide. The studio has been developing this series for over a decade; the ClockClock 24 edition has existed for 5 years. Humans since 1982 is dedicated to maintaining their work. Clock Forward is committed to the principle that once a work we sell is installed in your good home or business, we want it to stay there.
I noticed in a video that the work isn't perfect.
Though the work is mesmerizingly precise, sometimes a hand is slightly unaligned. This is not something we or our clients have found distracting when enjoying the work. You are purchasing a kinetic work of art, not an atomic clock. ClockClock 24 is simple to recalibrate should you ever need to do so; whenever you pause or power down the work, simply realign the hands pointing down (6:30 position). Expensive mechanical clocks need to be wound every 7-8 days; ClockClock 24 requires far less attention.
Where will my order ship from?
Your work will ship to us in NC from Sweden, and we ship to you (or deliver locally) shortly after it arrives. We know lead-times can be long, so we never send without confirming you are in town. We occasionally have a work in stock, but most are custom ordered or sold before arriving in the US.
My purchase is a gift. What can I give in its place?
We have some nicely printed gift cards for each edition that we can send you. Please contact us.
How high should I hang the work? Is it easy to install?
Unless it's a tall work, we recommend hanging art with a vertical center point of around 55" from the floor. Some galleries prefer 58". We are aware people tend to hang art too high in their homes. ClockClock 24 is relatively easy to install for anyone experienced in hanging heavy objects. The studio also has an installation video available that we share with our clients.
- Can ClockClock24 be installed with a hidden wire?